I’m very lucky to be in Melbourne for a whirlwind work trip with my hubby. YAY!! On the flight here, I was thinking a lot about travel style and how mine has evolved over the years. I always love seeing what other people wear on flights, some people are very clever with their outfits!
In my twenties I spent four years living overseas and travelling the globe, and to this day I still love the excitement of boarding a plane. In my time I’ve been on enough plane trips where I’ve worn the wrong outfit and have either been absolutely freezing or just downright uncomfortable. A few years down the track, a little older and hopefully a little wiser - I feel like I’m now on the right track when it comes to dressing for plane travel and thought I’d share my top tips with you.
My Top Travel Style Tips
1) Layering is always your best option. If you are heading to a warmer climate, wear comfortable jeans or leggings with a tee and layer it up with a scarf and lightweight cardigan. Airplanes are always a little on the chilly side, and sometimes downright freezing so it’s not a great idea to wear your denim cut-offs and Bintang tank, even if you are heading to Bali!
2) Footwear. It’s a good idea to wear closed shoes like ballet flats or converse trainers for a flight. There’s heavy luggage left right and centre and you don’t want a bruised or broken foot at the beginning of a holiday because something fell out of the overhead compartment and you’re only wearing thongs. Boots are great for keeping your feet warm during the flight, I always wear mine to Melbourne – but if your feet tend to swell during a flight, it’s probably a good idea to choose other footwear. On long haul flights I always change into warm socks to keep my feet warm.
Word of warning: Never EVER go into a plane toilet without shoes on EVER. You have no idea what’s been on that floor!
3) A scarf is such a handy multi purpose accessory when travelling. I always get chilly on flights and a scarf keeps my neck and shoulders warm, plus if I spill anything on myself – a scarf hides it perfectly! I love this Edwina Jordan scarf I wore on this trip to Melbourne, it’s so snuggly and warm.
4) Wear breathable fabrics. I once sat in front of an entire family wearing shell suits and the aroma in the aircraft was not pleasant to say the least! Think cotton, cashmere and anything soft. Cashmere is the ultimate travel fabric, it’s super soft and warm and doesn’t crush, so there’s no need for ironing. I recently picked up two beautiful cashmere jumpers from Target that are perfect for travelling.
5) Take a little ‘freshen up’ kit onboard. I always pack travel sized perfume, powder and lipstick. On long haul flights I take lip balm, hand cream, face moisturiser, baby wipes, a hydrating mist, a toothbrush and toothpaste (although some airlines provide this in their amenities kit) and hand sanitiser. You want to feel fresh and fabulous when you arrive at your destination!
6) If you are travelling long haul, pack a change of clothes, especially if you are travelling with kids! We learnt the hard way when Ava had an accident while my hubby was holding her two hours into an eleven hour flight. I’d packed a change of clothes for Ava and myself, but my hubby had forgotten and had to wear his wet jeans for the next twenty four hours of travelling. Not nice!
This is an example of a great travelling outfit guaranteed to get you to your destination in comfort and style!
Happy travels lovelies!
A x x x x
What are your travel essentials and top tips?
Are you travelling anywhere exciting?